Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Grilled Veggie Quesadilla

When I think and hear the word "quesadilla", I think chicken or beef with some veggies (maybe) included, loads of cheese and sour cream. Well that doesn't exactly go with my healthy lifestyle change; the meat does but not the loads of cheese and sour cream. That is where I enjoy researching alternatives. For cheese, I go for low fat and for sour cream, I use plain Greek Yogurt and to be honest with you I cannot even tell the difference in taste (Maybe I don't mind the change...)

I found this recipe on the TeamBeachBody Blog (yahhh BeachBody!!) and I used it in my 5 day clean eating group earlier this month. I would have to say that it was a hit. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I made it twice in one week. 

Grilled Veggie Quesadilla
1/2 medium red bell peppers, stem and seeds removed and discarded, cut into four pieces.
1 medium Portobello Mushroom, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 medium zucchini, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
1 medium summer squash, slice diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
2 tsp olive oil, divided use
4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
4 tsp prepared pesto sauce
4 tbsp moz cheese (2 oz.)
4 tbsp soft goat cheese (2 oz.)
*I didn't use mozz and goat cheese; I used low fat shredded cheddar but feel free to use the cheese the recipe calls for any kind you like that comes in low fat.

Preparation
1. Preheat grill or broiler to high.
2. Brush bell pepper, mushroom, onion, zucchini and summer squash with 1 tsp olive oil.
3. Grill or broil veggies for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until tender. Set aside.
4. Heat 1/2 tsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
5. Place two tortillas in skillet; cook, turning once for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Top each tortilla with 1 tsp pesto sauce, 1 tbsp moz cheese, 1 tbsp goat cheese and 1/4 grilled veggies. Fold tortilla in half, cook for 4 to 5 minutes, turning once, until cheese is melted and tortilla is golden brown. Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients; cook in remaining 1/2 tsp olive oil.
7. Enjoy!! 
*I made this for lunch twice in a week but this would be a great protein packed breakfast or dinner tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment